My dad always told me you should never trust anyone who says "trust me" (unless of course it is my dad that is saying it... odd rule i know). But when i say trust me, i really mean trust me.
I learnt this white sauce from my Nanna and i assume its as popular in other homes as it is in mine! I like to pride myself on simplicity in recipes and this one is the simplest cheapest way to make vegetables more yummers. I love this recipe on a weekend/Friday night when you don't want to cook all day but you want a meal everyone will love. If that's what your yearning for then trust me ;)
1-2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon Flour (i used self raising because i very rarely have plain flour in my house!)
1 cup milk
small handful of grated cheese (or just break up some of your favourite cheese into small-ish pieces)
1. Melt butter in a pot over a medium heat.
2. Add flour and whisk until all flour is absorbed by the butter.
3. slowly pour in milk. you can do this in two ways. a) pour the milk into butter & flour mixture in a steady thin stream whisking the entire time. or b) pour in the milk slowly in a risotto fashion. Wait for the sauce to thicken before adding the next small batch.
4. Keep whisking until the sauce thickens. Any lumps will disappear with the whisking so don't stress.
5. pour over some cooked broccoli and top with cheese. Then pop the whole thing in a medium heat oven and let it brown and melt. Hmmm white gooey goodness!!!
Love and kisses on both cheeks,